Re: Things to Come

on Friday, October 28, 2011
As the photograph displayed on the sidebar of the blog claims, cold times are definitely ahead. The chillier days of autumn are pressing in on us, and as I type this the temperature is a mere 37 degrees Fahrenheit. The air is dry and people are gradually giving in to their winter apparel. A few flurries may be seen descending from above any day now.

Many people like me who are not fond of the cold may have a desire to move South -- anywhere South, really, as long as it's warmer. But of course the retired folk usually manage to buy up places down there, and residential areas are naturally going to be pricier there anyhow. So despite my dislike for cold, I probably won't get to be moving South anytime soon; it's when I force that fact onto myself that I'm a tad grateful for living in a place with definable seasons. Because I'm used to it. I'm going to be used to hazardous wintry roads and biting temperatures. I can't imagine it being the other way around: having to move from some nice Floridian paradise to somewhere in the mountains, completely unprepared for the colder days.

Driving on a snowy day once, my mother was frustrated by someone going exeedingly slow. The road conditions called for some caution, but this person was just overly paranoid. My mother said, "In the winter you can always tell who isn't from here."

And it's pretty true.

Taryn

1 comments:

Appalachian Literature Class said...

Fantastic post . . . I, too, agree. Truely a four season world for us -- though the best, fall, seems to be the quickest to move to winter. And yes, you can always tell who isn't local in winter driving conditions!

Post a Comment