on Friday, December 9, 2011
I originally set out to do a research project on a wide range of Appalachian religions, but I found that overwhelming and narrowed it down to Christianity in Appalachia. And when I gathered together all of the information I'd acquired on it and gave it a look, I discovered that it was largely lopsided. I’d subconsciously gravitated toward one sect in particular in my research: The Church of God with Signs Following, the original serpent-handling church.
I was aware that it was the stereotypical thing to do, but I focused my report completely on the notorious practice. I knew that I was contributing to the prejudice against the area and supporting the world’s view of us as eccentric hillbillies in my own small way, but I couldn’t help myself. Stereotypes are interesting!
Where would this state be without our rowdy reputation for snake-handling, moonshining, and all around law-breaking? What would we have? These stereotypes, exaggerated and negative as they may be, are our history. Without them we have no flavor; we’re just another bland state that nobody talks about.
So when people gripe about Appalachia's negative portrayal in literature and on television (as I’ve read in criticisms of the Kentucky Cycle and television shows like the Beverly Hillbillies), it irks me. Should we instead advertise the unbearable normalcy here? Because I think that would be worse.
-Emma

0 comments:

Post a Comment