Buckwheat Cakes and Appalachia

on Monday, October 1, 2012
It never ceases to amaze me the things Appalachians celebrate. This year West Virginia alone has approximately 120 registered festivals and public events. There is the ever popular Strawberry Festival in Buckhannon, Fiddler’s Reunion in Elkins, Bridge Day in Fayetteville, Irish Road Bowling at Holly River State Park, Lumberjackin’ Bluegrass Jamboree in Twin Falls, George Washington’s Bathtub celebration in Berkeley Springs, and even the Road Kill Cook-off in Marlinton. My favorite, however, takes place this weekend in Kingwood; the annual Preston County Buckwheat Festival.
 Ever since I can remember, my family has traveled to this festival on Thursday or Friday to watch (or march) the parades, ride carnival rides, play games, see the 4-H exhibits, and enjoy a buckwheat cake dinner. This festival, now in its seventy-first year, celebrates how farmers grew buckwheat to feed cattle while recovering from the Great Depression. Buckwheat was relied on by the people as a type of insurance crop because of its good quality and short growing season. It means a lot to the people of Preston County and they start preparing months in advance; and everyone around the area is encouraged to participate in the fair’s activities.
                These kind of celebrations are one of the things that really make Appalachia unique. They instill a sense of community in everyone who attends and are a great way to learn about our culture. The people that run them do a great job in having an entertaining festival while taking Appalachian pride in everything they do.
                The Buckwheat Festival, as well as many other festivals in West Virginia and Appalachia is a great way to have fun and forget about the stress of everyday life. The music, food, parades, and crafts show Appalachian culture in its best. They are a great way to remind us of who we are as a people and where we came from.
                So if you get a chance, come on up to Kingwood this weekend. Ride rides, watch a parade, try buckwheat cakes; it will be worth it. Also, make sure to check out some of the other festivals around the area. Each represents our culture in their own unique way.
-R 

11 comments:

Appalachian Literature Class said...

Love this piece of writing!

Caroline Shamberger said...

I love going to festivals as well and enjoy the different local customs found at each. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to visit the Buckwheat Festival this year, but I'm going to try to attend some other festivals in the area.

Anonymous said...

Out of curiousity, have you ever been to the Road Kill Cook-off? It was featured on the Travel Channel's "A Taste of America".

- Re

Jessi said...

You know, as many years as I have been attending the Buckwheat Festival, I have never had a buckwheat cake.

I really like that you included the history of buckwheat and why it's significant to the state. I don't think many people know why we celebrate a plant, so it's good that you mentioned it.

Good job!!

K said...

I love the Buckwheat festival too. My grandparents live in Preston County so we go every year. I didn't know there were so many other festivals in the area!

Anonymous said...

The Buckwheat festival is so much fun even though the ground is always muddy and the carnies are always crazy. The Buckwheat shows a lot of West Virginia's culture which helps people to learn more about in the state. The art and craft building especially contributes to it. Buckwheat represents appalachian pride. -M

Jessi said...

To M:

My dad always says it isn't the Buckwheat Festival unless it rains at least one of the days. He grew up in Kingwood and can only remember one year when he was very small that it didn't rain.

Anonymous said...

The Buckwheat Festival is really the pride of north-central WV. It must be one of the biggest, oldest, most well-known county fairs in an age when the county fair is dying out. Hundreds of people submit baked goods, canned goods, agricultural produce, photos, and all kinds of needlework to be judged. Compare this to the Monongalea County Fair, which I submitted a couple things too. In some categories, there was only one entry!
-M

Anonymous said...

To Re:No, I have never been there but I am kind of curious about it, even though I'm sure I would never eat it.-R

Anonymous said...

Okay, you guys have convinced me...maybe next year I'll got to the buckwheat festival....I've never been...but I have had a buchwheat cake and I must say...not a fan...

Shawn Craver said...

I grew up eating buckwheat pancakes and could probably count on one hand the times we had "regular" pancakes. When I moved west it was hard to find big bags of buckwheat. One time I "smuggled" a sack of buckwheat flour through the Pittsburgh airport. The security guy opened my bag and pulled out a five pound bag as the "dust" flew up from it and said, "And what do you have here?" I pointed to the label that said "Buckwheat" and said "Buckwheat!" He laughed and said, "That's what it says, so I guess that's what it is..." I met my first girlfriend at the Preston County Buckwheat Festival. I'll not give you the details of how that worked out... ;)

Post a Comment