Do you know where you're going to be buried?

on Tuesday, January 15, 2013
One of the writers interviewed for an Appalachian documentary said that you need ask only one question to know whether someone is truly from the mountains: do you know where you’re going to be buried?
This is probably the truest thing I’ve ever heard. Actually, I had no idea until now that people outside don’t know or care where they’re going to be buried. That is just such an integral part of my family: you’re very German, you live near the rest of the family, you like cars, you get buried in the family plot. It’s tradition.
It seems to me that outside the mountains, no one holds any traditions. They work too hard at a life that moves too fast to know or care what their families may have done for generations before them. How many lie amongst strangers in big city burial grounds instead of resting by their own family in a quiet churchyard?


-M


4 comments:

Jessi said...

I actually don't know where I'm going to be buried. I don't even know where my parents are going to be buried. But I do know where my father's mother's family plots are. There are three of them. One in Charleston, one in Kenna, and the old Native American burial ground is in a hayfield somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

Anonymous said...

I know I'll be put in one of two places: with my husband (if he has a family plot), or with my father in the plot behind his parents' house that used to belong to a church.
-M

R said...

All I know is that I am going to be buried with my family,I am not sure exactly where. It's an interesting point you brought up,though. People do have traditions outside of the mountains, but some are not nearly as special.

Anonymous said...

I never looked at it that way, but it's right. My family all wants to be burried at a graveyard about five minutes away from the house. If by chance I moved away when i'm older, I'd still want to be burried at the graveyard my parents were too. -M

Post a Comment