Cooper's Rock

on Wednesday, August 29, 2012
One of the first things I saw when we came house hunting in West Virginia was Cooper’s Rock State Park.   It was July, 2008, and I remember that we were practically in the woods when we were eating under the shelter that held the picnic tables.  Indiana wasn’t like that.  In the outskirts of Bloomington, if we were in a state park, there was always a huge clearing to house a picnic shelter.  But here in West Virginia, it was under a canopy of trees.  When I went to the famous overlook of Cooper’s Rock, I was amazed.  I literally fell in love with what I saw.  On the overlook, you can look all around and see thousands of trees.  Any gaps between the branches were filled in with big, fat leaves in different shades of green.  To the left I saw the Cheat River.  It looked so still, almost glassy, and when it did make its small waves, someone was taking advantage of the beauty to enjoy a summer evening on their boat. 
My favorite time to visit Cooper’s Rock is in the fall.  It’s gorgeous with the red and orange leaves, standing out against the clear blue or crisp smoky sky that compliments the colors so well.  A friend of ours is coming to West Virginia in November, and I don’t think we’ve ever been able to take her to Cooper’s Rock.  I’m so excited for her to come! Even though there are dozens of other states in the country that change with the seasons, none of them compare to the views of West Virginia, and none of the places do a view justice other than Cooper’s Rock.  Here’s a picture I found online of Cooper’s Rock in the fall.  Thank you, Google Images!   

Cooper’s Rock always has and always will be one of my top five favorite places in West Virginia.  I hope it will be preserved, because everyone deserves to see this.
-K

0 comments:

Post a Comment