Wild and Wonderful

on Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Writing about the variety of West Virginia’s topics in a blog is something I’ve never thought about until now.  I’m pretty new to the area, and although I’m not a born-and-raised West Virginian, it’s where I tell people I’m from.  It’s beautiful, and in exchange for being so welcoming, I’ve called it home.  Having only lived here for four years, when most of the people I know have lived here forever, I feel like I have a different perspective on the viewpoints of stereotypes.  I see things the way an outsider would, with the rednecks or hillbillies and poverty.  But unlike some people who criticize that, I accept it, and even embrace it.  I like the idea that somewhere in West Virginia, there are people who are still living like they did two hundred years ago.  It keeps a history alive, and I think that throughout the world those things we read about at school aren’t being preserved. 
When you cross the border from any state into West Virginia, there’s a sign that says Wild and Wonderful.  I love that! The first time I saw that sign I thought of the gorgeous state parks, and the giant black bears, the lush green of summer, and the golden colors and excited spirit of fall.  I’m not a huge football fan, but I still love the energy that the Mountaineers and the football season bring.  In Kingwood, West Virginia, the Buckwheat Festival comes every September.  It honors the historic story of how Preston County relied on the buckwheat harvest during the Great Depression as a way to get more money in the area.  My family tries to go every year, and we eat the bitter but delicious pancakes and enjoy everything that people make their living on: different jams and arts and crafts.  There are even animals that you can look at and a barrel rolling contest in the water.  It’s very entertaining.  And when we’re getting ready to leave, we share a big bag of hot, freshly popped kettle corn.  It’s amazing to watch the people pop the thousands of kernels in the huge bucket.  They work so hard but enjoy every bit of it.
West Virginia is my favorite place in the world.  Yes, there’s poverty, but I’m so glad to be here and share the culture and activities of the area with friends and family.  They all have a wonderful viewpoint and opinion of the state.  Come visit! You’ll feel good.
-K


0 comments:

Post a Comment