Food in Appalachia 1

on Thursday, March 15, 2012
I am starting a project on food in Appalachia for the semester project. I haven't really gone out and done much research yet, but I guess for an early post I will talk about local Appalachian food.
There are a few restaurants in town with an atmosphere and style that I feel epitomizes Appalachia. These places feel very natural and down to earth, sort of "granola"-like. The food tends to be natural and organic and sort of avant garde, without being pretentious about it. Often enough these places will have live music playing, generally blue grass. I feel like places like this reflect the outdoorsy, natural culture of the region, as well as the concious, quasi-hippie qualities of this particular part of the region.
The sort of places that I'm talking about include Black Bear, Morgantown Brewing Company, to a certain extent places like the Blue Moose Cafe and Maxwell's, even Zenclay. Visit them sometime to see what I mean. Maybe later I'll do specific posts about these places. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment