Mining Project

on Tuesday, April 9, 2013
 Each semester our class does projects on topics of our choice revolving around Appalachia. The only requirements are to get our idea approved and tie in a piece of writing to it. This semester I chose to create my project on mining. We already learned about how coal mines worked years ago, but we have not gotten into coal mining today. I have been researching equipment, mine accidents in recent years, and how the industry differs throughout the United States. I am also preparing to speak to some retired miners and state representatives in order to get their opinions about how the industry has changed throughout the years, as well as the pros and cons of it. Coal mining is a huge part of Appalachia’s, particularly West Virginia’s, economy. I feel that I have lived here all of my life and still have yet to understand a lot about it. My hope is for this project to teach me something I have not yet learned about the lives of many in my home region.                   
-R

0 comments:

Post a Comment