A Call From Appalachia

on Wednesday, February 1, 2012
                I’ve traveled along this land. I’ve gone to the North, down to the South, over plains, to lakes so great, to the ocean on the other side, and to a place in between. Granted, I never got to explore every niche and crevice to be found, nor have I had the chance to unravel all the mysteries of the earth. However, that is no matter. No land I’ve ever set foot on has ever caused something so strong to reverberate through my bones than that of Appalachia.
                What is it about this land that brings to life a humming in my marrow? Every hill, every mountain, every little inch has an old soul. Once upon a time, the mountains were young and proud, but, like all things, time eased them to an age of wisdom and a time to nestle down for rest. The trees position themselves everywhere, even in the cement of the small cities. They show no fear of people. The woods are peaceful, undisturbed, welcoming to all who belong with an ocean of natural wonder. The people have this sturdiness, this overwhelming aura of a race rather ancient, this almost indescribable nature to them that is different from the vast assortment all over. The old ways of life are not just grains lost in the tree of life. No, they are still flowing in the stems, the leaves, the trunk, and all throughout this immortal growth. Appalachia is alive and not forgotten in its lifestyle; Appalachia is a home to all, with plenty to go around. What is there not to love? What is there not to admire? What about it will not warm one’s soul?
~Chandra

5 comments:

Appalachian Literature Class said...

I rather enjoy this, Chandra. :) I really like your style of writing. I can tell that you're a poet, not because I have read some of your poetry, but you have a very beautiful way of using description in your writing. Great work!

F.

Taryn said...

Your descriptions of the nuances embedded in Appalachia are beautiful and true. I quite enjoyed this piece of writing and love knowing other people acknowledge the soft-spoken life nestled comfortably where we live; it's all too easily overlooked. I'm sure anyone visiting here -- if they paid attention -- could sense that flowing connection. They may not understand where it derives, but they can feel its subtle presence.

Appalachian Literature Class said...

This is prose, but it reads like poetry. It flows really well. I love your use of trees both literally and as a metaphor.
-Eliana

Appalachian Literature Class said...

I like the personification of Appalachia. This would make me want to go to this certain place to experience wht you felt... that is if I didn't already lived here haha. -Todd

Appalachian Literature Class said...

Chandra, your writing style is so lyrical. It makes me feel as though Appalachia is some sort of mythical paradise (not that it isn't, of course). I wish I had your way with descriptive words. I'm going to have to raid your poetry notebooks because I'm hungry for more...
-Emma

Post a Comment