I love where I live

on Wednesday, February 1, 2012
I was born and raised in what is now one of the largest cities in West Virginia. That's correct, it is an actual state, contrary to popular belief. While I was still growing up from a child, I never truely realized just how lucky I was to be living in such a town. Trips to the mall to go shopping for clothes, or making Friday night trips out to eat were some of the small things I'd learn to appreciate from my home. Being that it was a college town, I went to school with one of the most diverse groups of people I have ever seen. Blacks,Asians, Hispanics, and of course Whites were only a few of the many racial groups that were present. There was never a short supply of things to do around town either, whether it was simply taking a drive somewhere or going to the ice skating rink, you could never consider yourself bored. The first time I was able to grasp the special situation of my home was when my family decided to go camping at North Bend state park, which was located adjacent to the town of Harris, West Virginia. Harris was a bustling town that had such great features such as a single BP gas station, and a family dollar. The sheer lack of anything civilized was a complete shock to me. I not once saw anyone else of any other racial group. Everything was closed at exactly 5PM, so we were stuck eating at camp for most of our stay. When we finally got back home it really made me realize just how much I love where I live. It is the perfect mix of civilization and appalachia, one that allows me to have dinner past 5PM. It is the perfect balance betweeen busy and calm, and one of the few places in appalachia that you will reguarly see people from different races. Morgantown is truely an anomly in appalachia, and I love it.

2 comments:

Appalachian Literature Class said...

I agree about the diversity. We are very fortunate to live in morgantown. I have also been to a town where it was very small and very old. I would hate to live where everything closed at 5. It almost feels like the you have went back in time.

Appalachian Literature Class said...

This is sort of the inverse of where everyone else went with the assignment, but it's also good. Morgantown is really an anomaly in the region, but the development is what makes it pleasant and convenient to live in.
-Eliana

Post a Comment