on Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Upon first hearing the term “Affrilachian”, I am plagued by this sort of confusion and curiosity. What is this bizarre term? Is it even real? What does it mean? Is it an actual region? What is it? Questions whirled about in my skull, ignoring my pleas to stop and settle. Seeing no other option than to give in, I turned to the pathway to unravel this term. I stumbled upon this article about this man, Frank X. Walker, who came up with this name to cover all African-Americans in the Appalachian region. Once I was satisfied with this discovery, I moved along to the next stop in my assignment: actually read a poem by an Affrilachian poet.
Already, I knew that I could draw from the poems by Frank X. Walker, but I wanted to expand. So I chose a poem by Paul C. Taylor simply because I enjoyed it a lot and have this obsession with executions. I love how in his poem, Taylor shows how an execution may not always be televised or broadcasted in such a manner but it will be heard about.
~Chandra
http://coalblackvoices.com/poets/paul/index.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment